December 30, 2006

I'm back....

Everyone needs a break from blogging sometimes. I have been pretty consumed with baby stuff the past few weeks. I decided that since it was Christmas break I would be getting all the important preparations done. So far I have made a birth plan (THAT was traumatic, let me tell you), scoured consumer reports, planned a diapering system (we're going cloth, but that's because we're a bit hippy). I feel that I'm well on my way to being at least as prepared as I can be. You may think this is a little premature, but it's really easier for me to do now while I'm not working. Today we will register at Target.
We had a great Christmas. It was great to see everyone, but I think I am enjoying the "after Christmas rest" even more than I did all the visiting. We were supposed to go back to school next week, but it's not going to happen with all the damage inside the building, so it will be nice to have another week off.
I'm back, for reals, I promise.
NOW, I have a question, for all of you mom's out there. Please help me out.

What is the one baby "thing" that you couldn't live without?

I need to know. Leave a comment.

3 comments:

Jeana said...

Hmm. Well I can tell you a few things that I definitely did NOT need. Those bulky travel systems--you know with the car seat that clips into the stroller. What a pain. Now they have sleek, streamlined, non-bulky stroller frames that hold the car seat and when baby outgrows that they can transition straight into the beloved umbrella stroller.

I also did not need a baby wipes warmer, a diaper pail (we ended up just throwing the dirty diapers directly into the outide trash), or a changing table (we usually just changed Noah on the floor or bed or wherever we were--this time around we're not bothering with a changing table).

Also, you WILL need receiving blankets, but you will NOT need 500 of them. 3 to 5 should be enough. The same goes for hooded towels.

A pack of extra cloth diapers to use as burp rags and stuff is wonderful to have on hand.

I liked our Boppy--it was great for breastfeeding and for a comfy place for Noah to hang out. I was also really grateful for our baby swing, but not all babies like them. Also, Robeez baby shoes are the best--they don't fall off every three minutes like 100% of the other baby shoes and socks.

We loved having an exer-saucer but that is something you won't need (and won't want to store) until the baby is around 5 or 6 months.

Wow. That is WAY more than the one thing you asked for. =D And you're so good to have a birth plan already! Oh, that reminds me--the one "mommy" thing I couldn't live without is "Soothies." If your hospital has a lactaction center, see if you can find them.

Annie said...

Thanks Jeana! I was really wondering about the stroller thing. We almost had one picked out and then we remembered we had seen one that just "clicked in" to the stroller. So then we wondered if we needed that one. So thanks. I've seen those Robeez shoes and wondered about them. I'll have to get some. What about those vibrating chair things?

Jeana said...

We had one and it was nice for the first couple months but we used the swing much more and for the same purpose.

Now I'm all excited to go to Target and check out your registry =D