August 04, 2005

Currently reading: I am really, really enjoying this book. It explores Jewish traditions from a Christian point of view, the first one being Sabbath. It's interesting to think about the value in tradition and ritual that as an evangelical I miss. Our Sabbath tradition is to go to my parent's house, eat, play with our nephew, etc. What if we really were to refrain from creating anything on the Sabbath? The book also explores food (ie. being intentional about the food we eat) and mourning, but that's as far as I've gotten. My friend Kara goes to a Presbyterian church. At confirmation the child/teen receives a quilt made by members of the congregation. They wrap the child in the quilt, symbolizing the church surrounding then in love and support. What are your favorite traditions (church or otherwise) and why. What do they mean to you? Leave a comment if you want!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello my friend Annie-
the presbyterian church has many traditions I enjoy very much. 2 I find most moving:
1.Each Sunday we pass the peace of Christ- we circle around the sancturary greeting one another with a warm hand shake and the peace of Christ. May the Peace of Christ be with you also Annie!
2. The other tradition: each time we have communion we go row by row to the front of the sancturary. As I take thewine I am told, "kara the blood of Christ was spilled for you." and as I take the bread, "kara the body of christ was broken for you." With their words I also hear Christ on the cross declaring, "Kara this is for you."
Talk to you soon Annie!