July 06, 2005

My Fascination with Babies

Recently my friend Alysun wrote a blog about being a stay at home mom. It started me thinking about my interactions with people in my life who stay at home with their kids. I always find myself asking tons of questions like, "when does he sleep?" "what do you feed her?" "what is your day like?" "how did you decide whether or not to put her on a schedule?" I think I am mostly trying to picture what my life will be like someday when I have a baby. How will I balance things I already like to do like camping? Can you do that with a baby? I need to know these things. There always comes a point in the conversation where I think to myself "I am being extremely nosy and I need to stop". Thankfully, my mom counsels pregnant women for her job. She has charts, books, etc. The problem is, I know that even with all my questions answered I will still feel, as Alysun said, "grossly underqualified" to be a mom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We took you camping when you were 1 year old.

Aly sun said...

Annie, keep the questions coming. It makes us mom's feel important.

PS Camping with our 8 month old was not very fun. We are going to wait until she is old enought to reason with before we try that again. (Next summer)

Anonymous said...

Hey Annie, this is Emily Carter (dorm section :) ) i am having fun looking at your page. we took both of our kids camping before they were three months old and had a blast. i think it is the best time to take them--they are immobile! just remember that babies survived for thousands of years without all of our modern conveniences--they will be just fine in the wilderness if you are there with them!
have fun!